Decorating is Fun, Food is Great, but Life is Hard!



There isn't much in life that I haven't experienced.  When I was 8 years old, my sister died at three years of age from Cystic Fibrosis.  I really can't remember a time in my life since then that wasn't tested.  As a family, we have experienced just about every imaginable trial.  If you can think of an issue, we have probably experienced it on some level.

I spoke to a group of pastors wives at a conference several years ago.  I asked them all to stand.  Then I made this request of them, "If there is someone in this room who is not going through a major trial, would you please sit down."  One woman out of the group of 50 sat down.  As the ladies looked at each it was a sobering experience.  They were from all over the country and had no idea that others in the room were so burdened.

I made the same request of my Bible study of 150 ladies.  Most knew each other well.   Five ladies in that group sat down. 

Why did I ask that question?  It tells us several things:  1.You are not the only one with trials and hurting.   2. It indicates how little we know about those we come in contact with.   3.There is the reality that those who sat down because everything seemed to be going well could have been standing with the rest by the end of the day. 

The outcome of that question with those two groups was amazing.  The women started reaching out, sharing with and praying for each other.  It gave a sense of support to those who were feeling alone with their burdens.  The energy in the room changed; there was transparency.

Criticism and advice from others can hurt, but we have a choice about how we respond.  Because of multiple issues in my life, I have known the criticism of a few friends like Job's. God knows my heart and the truth about my life.   I choose not to respond, but to continue to do my best to live a life pleasing to God, making the best of my situation.  If some criticize me, I don't defend my reputation at the risk of ruining theirs.

Trials can be very lonely.  Some can't be shared with everyone. It helps to have a trusted friend who shares your faith and values. Depending on what the trial is, there may be a support group at your church or somewhere in the community.

When we face trials, it is good to be involved in the lives of others.  It reminds us that we are not unique when it comes to difficult times.  You may think no one understands your circumstances, but I promise you there are others who have walked in your shoes and been worse off.  The more you get to know others, the better you will understand that fact.

I Corinthians 10:13 states that, "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure."  (New Living Translation.)  "Temptations" can be translated as any difficult situation that you don't want to face.

God may not remove us from our trials, but He promises to make it so we can endure our situation.  Our attitude is what makes the difference.  I find that responding in a positive way builds spiritual strength and makes me stronger when the next trial comes along.  If we didn't go through difficult times we would never know the vastness of God's character. It is in difficult times we see His mercy, peace, love, wisdom and ability to work in an impossible situation.

Don't dwell on problems. That keeps us from being productive.  It detracts from the good that is in our lives and causes us to miss the wonderful things.

Philippians 4:6-7 says,  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. "  (NIV)

I like to think of my life in this way, imagining a balance scale.  The center of a balancing scale is similar in shape to a cross-  a reminder of Christ.  If I keep Christ in the center of my life, my life is balanced.  On one side of the scale, I put my burdens and on the other, my blessings.  This exercise puts things in perspective.  I miss seeing the balance if I only dwell on the burdens.  I do not want to miss out on the blessings.
When friends have asked how I/we have managed some of our trials or said they couldn't have gone through what we have, there is only one answer. Strength and hope come from God alone.  Without Him we would be hopeless.  Philippians 4:13, "For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

My purpose in sharing these thoughts is to encourage.  I love sharing tips on making a home beautiful or a delicious recipe for your family, but if there is a heavy heart in one of those beautiful rooms or eating one of those favorite recipes, the room and food mean very little.  I have learned a lot about decorating and cooking,  but I have learned much more about living life and these principles are part of the balance that makes a complete life.  My blog is called "Traditions from the Heart" and I am sharing my whole heart with the hope that you will enjoy life more fully and find peace in the hard times.

Comments

Popular Posts