Super Bowl or Any Night Dinner in 5 Minutes! Really!

I grew up in the Los Angeles area and there were several places that served a good hot pastrami dip. Most were little "holes-in-the-wall." The sandwiches were served with hot chili peppers on the side. I worked for a long time to come up with that taste that I loved growing up. I can't believe it is so quick and simple!                                                  

This is my version of the hot pastrami dip: 

1 1/4 pound of Boar's Top Round Beef Pastrami (don't get the brisket or another brand)
1 can of Campbell's Beef Broth (not consomme)
4 Hoagie Rolls or Steak Rolls
 Frenches Yellow Mustard

Have the pastrami sliced about the thickness of bacon. 

Dilute the beef broth with one can of water and bring to a simmer in a large frying pan.
.
Prepare rolls with mustard and place on plates while the broth comes to a simmer. 

Separate slices of pastrami and drop into the simmering broth. Leave it just long enough to heat the meat.  DO NOT boil. If it heats too long, it becomes rubbery.

Place pastrami on the rolls. Place the broth in small bowls for dipping.

Serve with potato chips, fries, potato salad, slaw, pickles or hot chili peppers, if you dare!  (I have oven fried potato chips and purple cabbage slaw in the picture.)

Top round pastrami is prefered because I find the brisket pastrami seasoning too strong for the flavor I was trying to duplicate.

If you have simple side dishes handy in the refrigerator, you can have this sandwich done in 5 minutes. 

Comments

Popular Posts