Easing the Stress of Family Meals

Many memories can be made around the kitchen table.  When our kids were growing up I planned our meals two weeks in advance to coincide with paydays.  I wrote out the menu for each day, then made a grocery list of ingredients.  Each day I would post the dinner menu on a kitchen chalkboard.  That would prepare the kids so they knew what was coming, for better or worse!  I told them if they didn't complain, one day a week one of them could plan the menu and it could be anything.  Dad and I couldn't complain about their choices!  One night, our youngest wanted root beer floats for an appetizer, spaghetti for the main course and ice cream sundaes for dessert.  It didn't hurt any of us and it was fun.  (I actually liked having ice cream twice in one meal!)

I would often cook several chickens on a Saturday.  We would have a chicken dish that night and I would make two other chicken recipes and freeze them for busy days and still have a little left over for sandwiches.  Precooking hamburger and freezing it in baggies makes for a quick meal of tacos, spaghetti with meat sauce, etc.  I also washed the vegetables and cut them so they were ready to serve.  It can be time consuming to do the precooking but it really relieved a lot of stress at meal time. Our daughter had equestrian riding after school and our two boys played baseball at two different parks in addition to our church activities. It was nice to have dinner "ready" when we got home.

Making the table attractive for your family is important.  I found setting the table at night after dinner for the next day helped.  It also gives the impression that food is going to soon be served.   If you are going to make an effort to have a pretty table for guests, should you do less for your family? 

As previously mentioned, I like white dishes.  You can decorate for the season by changing your centerpiece and table linens much cheaper than changing dishes.  I used to buy printed fabric for the different seasons and holidays.  I would cut it into square napkins with pinking sheers, or if the fabric frayed easily, I would pull strings and make a fringed edge.  The kids helped with the fringing.  Fabric napkins are nice, just make sure they are permanent press and soil resistant .   A centerpiece can be a basket with greenery and flowers from the yard, a candle, an attractive ceramic piece, a bowl of seasonal fruit or vegetables, or the kids can make something.  It is amazing to see what the kids can come up with!

By planning meals ahead and setting a nice table, you are broadcasting a message to your family that they are a priority and special.   Moms have become so busy that sometimes it is hard to just get food on the table, but if you include your kids it can be a family project and become part of the routine. You will also find by doing this, you will be eating less fast food. 

I hope you look forward to that time around the table.  I often look at the empty chairs around our kitchen table and remember that not long ago they were filled by our children.  The kids aren't there now, but the memories are.

Comments

Popular Posts