Getting Started

When I married my high school sweetheart, I found myself doing things like my parents did as a result of their traditions.  Those traditions have carried over in our 43 years of marriage but we have added some of our own.  My husband, Larry, was a pastor, creating a need to have people in our home frequently. We had a tight budget, and eventually three children.  Out of necessity, I learned to be creative. 

My best resources, besides my parents, were watching other women who had the gift of hospitality.  I paid attention to how they accommodated everyone, how they served, what their decorations were, how the tables were set and the menus they served.  When I needed a birthday cake for our daughter's first party, I checked out a library book on cake decorating and bought an inexpensive set of caking decorating bags and tips.  I learned to make floral arrangements from a TV show.  I taught myself to "cater" by looking at the way buffets were set up.  For menus, I asked friends for recipes that were wonderful.  If  a recipe is just "okay" I don't use it.  I also love browsing through cookbooks for new ideas and menus.

Most people will tell you that they don't entertain is because they are too busy.  By feeling that way they miss opportunities to build traditions, make memories, grow in relationships and enrich the lives of others. 

My goal is to help make time for others doable.  As we go along, I will also give you holiday ideas, recipes and decorating tips for your home.

A Simple Start

Put a date on your calender.  Invite a few friends over.  Plan to play some games.  Ask everyone to bring a favorite finger food and the recipe.  Provide beverages and dessert. 

Beverage ideas:

For cold weather:
Hot water, cocoa mixes, spiced teas, flavored instant coffees and ice water

For hot weather:
Cranberry juice frozen in an ice cube tray.  Put ice cubes in glasses and pour ginger ale over the cubes.
Lemonade, iced tea (flavored or plain), ice water
Dessert:

Cold weather:
Gingerbread with lemon curd, topped with whipped cream
Brownies

Hot weather:
Make your own sundaes (you can ask everyone to bring a favorite topping)
Strawberry shortcake.  I like to use the Bisquick recipe for shortcakes.

*I keep Bisquick, a good brownie mix and gingerbread mix in my pantry.  Look for coupons and buy when they are on sale.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts