Does Your Laundry Room Make You Smile?

Yes, I am serious!  Several years ago our oldest two grandchildren were moving to Japan with their military dad and mom.  I wanted to do something fun with them before they left to make a memory.  I had their picture taken and one of the shots had Geoffery holding a can of paint over Brenna's head, appearing that he would pour it on her. The backdrop was a wall spattered with paint.  That was the inspiration for my laundry room!  As much as I thought that would be fun to spatter paint, I knew that paint would get on the washer and dryer and we would probably have more on us than the wall. 

I put acrylic craft paints slightly diluted with water on paper plates.  They dipped their hands in the paint and onto the wall.  They climbed a ladder with my help to reach the higher areas.  After they finished I hung their framed artwork and some favorite pictures that my children did when they were small to add more color.

My husband titled the space "The wailing wall" because I would get weepy when I looked at the wall and thought of my grandchildren so far away.

As the years have passed and with two more grand kids, the number of hand prints on the wall has grown.

I have since dry-brushed a soft white all over the hand prints and wall to soften the bright pigments.  The cabinets were painted a cheerful pink.





You can see the picture of Geoffery and Brenna in the photo below.


        
I had two collectible bunnies that didn't fit anywhere else, but work well with the colors used in the laundry room so they peek down from the top of the cabinet.



Whimsical nobs replaced the plan white ones


                                             
Because a laundry room is not a public area in the home, have fun with it. It doesn't have to match the rest of your home's color palette and can help you smile when taking on that never ending task!  Add some color to your life! 

Comments

Popular Posts