Are You Content With Your Home?

In this economy, many have lost their homes to foreclosure.  Many live in neighborhoods that they don't like.  Some like the neighborhood but are discontent with their decor, or lack there of.  Even when we get things just as we want, the satisfaction doesn't last long.

When I married, I moved from my parents home in a nice upper middle class area into a furnished duplex that did not reflect my decorating taste. Being newly married, I was initially content and had a sense of pride because it was "ours".  After awhile, it started to bother me that there was nothing on the walls, no accessories and the furniture was old. We couldn't afford a phone, a TV, a second car, furniture that we liked, and didn't have a dishwasher or garbage disposal.  Because my husband was in seminary the budget didn't have any room for extras beyond monthly expenses.

After graduation, we got into an unfurnished apartment and used a twin sized roll-away bed for a sofa.  I covered it with a daybed cover and used a bolster for the backrest.  Our dining room table was a card table with four three legged stools.  I was content for awhile.  We saved up and bought my "dream" sofa.  It made me happy.... for awhile.  Then I wanted the end tables and lamps, chairs and a dining table.  The list was endless. 

When we bought our first home we loved it until our church relocated and we had a long drive.  We moved for a shorter commute.  Once again, our new home was perfect until we outgrew it.

Many years later we are in a wonderful home and it is decorated pretty much as I want, but some of the pieces of furniture need reupholstering, some are dated.  Some walls need painting and so the list goes on.  Am I content with my home?  Yes.  There is a roof over our heads, there is food on the table, there are clothes in the closet. 

When my husband started pastoring, I remember looking in my closet trying to decide what to wear to church.  I had two "good" dresses.  One was brown and one was green.  When I commented that there were only two dresses to choose from, my husband replied, "Be glad you have a choice." What I wanted to hear was, "Oh, Sweetheart, just take the plastic and go shopping.  Get whatever you want."  My heart fell, disappointed in the lack of sympathy that I got, but I knew it was true.  I needed to be thankful that I had a choice. 

We all have choices.  We can decide to be content with what we have or have our joy robbed because something is always missing from our lives.

The book of Philippians is one of my favorite passages of scripture.  It was the original writing on the theory of "positive thinking."  In Chapter 4 it states:

 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Peace and contentment are a state of mind that comes from a grateful heart and the understanding that things and circumstances do not bring lasting happiness because they can change.  It comes from a relationship with Jesus that is the only constant in life.  If you can learn that, you can be content anywhere!

That being said, it doesn't mean we shouldn't make positive changes within our ability.  If we have the ability to improve on something or make it better, we have a responsibility to be good stewards of what we have.  In my next blog, I will share some ideas to help make your home a haven. 

Next blog:  Changing What You Can in Your Environment


.


Comments

Popular Posts