A Brownie Recipe from Heaven?

I believe it.  Yes, I do!  God cares about even the little insignificant desires of our hearts.

When my husband accepted a position as pastor of our last congregation, I was asked to share some things about myself at a ladies luncheon.  Being silly, I said that my hobby was chocolate..... anything chocolate!  It seemed to strike a chord with the other women. 

The day we moved into our new home near the church, one of the senior ladies in the church brought a plate of the most decadent brownies I have ever tasted.  I literally begged her for the recipe but she refused to give it to me.  Her reasoning was that I might change something about the recipe.  Perhaps I would use margarine instead of real butter, cocoa instead of unsweetened chocolate and vanilla "flavoring."  Then I might tell people it was her recipe and it wouldn't be.  She had been embarrassed when that happened when she shared other recipes.  She was protecting this one from tampering and for good reason! 

Through the years she made the brownies for me and, although I wanted the recipe, I dared not ask again.  One day I bought a new cookbook.  Guess what?  As I thumbed through it, I saw a picture that looked like her brownies!  I saw the butter, the unsweetened chocolate and real vanilla extract ingredients and decided to try the recipe.  BINGO!  I got a little desire of my heart!  The secret recipe had been revealed.  I never let her know her secret was out and never made them for anyone she knew because I wanted her to have her secret prized recipe.  Because she is probably now enjoying her brownies in Heaven, I am at liberaty to share the recipe.


Brownie:

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate         1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract
1 cup of butter                                    1/4 teaspoon of salt
4 eggs                                                  1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar                                        

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Grease a 9x13 pan.  In a large sauce pan, combine chocolate and butter.  Heat over low heat until melted and smooth, stirring. Remove from heat.  Beat in eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until thoroughly blended.  Stir in flour, blending well. Spread in pan.  Bake 25-30 minutes.  Do not over bake.  While cooling make frosting.

Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting:

4 oz. unsweetened chocolate      1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup butter                                     1 lb. powdered sugar  (3 3/4 cups)
2 eggs                                               4 cups miniature marshmallows

In a medium sauce pan, combine chocolate and butter.  Melt as for brownies.  Remove from heat, whip in eggs, vanilla and powdered sugar, beating until smooth.  Stir in marshmallows and spread quickly as this thickens.

You can add nuts or change the ingredients, but if you do, you are changing the recipe, so please don't say you got it from me!

Feel free to SHARE this recipe!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts