What Makes You So Special?

The Bible tells us that we are made by a master design and for a specific purpose. 

Jeremiah 1:5
New International Version

The Lord told Jeremiah, "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations."

Psalm 134:14-16
Contemporary English Version (CEV)

David writes, "I praise you because of the wonderful way you created me. Everything you do is marvelous! Of this I have no doubt. Nothing about me is hidden from you! I was secretly woven together deep in the earth below, but with your own eyes you saw my body being formed. Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything I would do. "

What could be more special than that?  God's purpose for a life is why it exists.  If we understand that, it gives us a sense of purpose and also guidelines for living.

We can identify our purpose by answering some question.

1.  What is the thing that keeps tugging at your heart, or what is your passion?
2.  What are your strengths?
3.  What are your weaknesses?
4.  What do other people tell you about your abilities?
5.  Reflect on how these things have directed your life.  How do they make you unique?
6.  Is your direction based on how God wants you to use the unique abilities He has given you?

Through the years in ministry, I have found that those who don't realize their uniqueness are those who make decisions based on how they feel, what they like or what everyone else is doing.  They don't usually think about consequences and look for a higher purpose for their lives.  They want to be judged by the standard of our society. That includes how successful they are, how beautiful they are, where their clothes come from, where they live, and the list goes on.  It is about what they can get out of life rather than what they can contribute.  John F. Kennedy said, "Ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country."  He was referring to our nation's good.  If we change that quote a little and ask, "Ask not what others  can you for you- ask what you can do for others" it makes it more about why we exist.

We should stand out because He made us special, one of a kind.  It doesn't mean we can't be successful,  pretty, have a nice home and worldly goods.  But we need to make sure we aren't missing the purpose for which we were created.  I mentioned in an earlier post that King Solomon stated that "things" don't matter at the end of a life.  You get to end of your life, your outward beauty is gone, you die and leave your "things" to those who never worked for them and may not appreciate what you had to do to gain them.  Those things won't make you special.

When you get to the end of your life, what do you want your life to count for?  How will your life have made a difference that no one else could have made? 

Just as our earthly fathers protected us as children, our Heavenly Father, wants to protect us.  Dad's don't protect us to be mean, but for our good.  Some are fearful that if they look to God for direction they are going to give up something or not be able to live as they want.  That may or may not be true.  However, I know from experience, that because God created me in a one-of-a-kind fashion, whatever He has planned for me is far better than anything I can imagine for myself.

It doesn't mean I will always be happy, without heartaches, or have everything  I want.  It DOES mean there is no experience that will confront me that I do not have the strength and skills to deal with.

Gloria Gather wrote a song, usually sung by children, that says it well:

I am a promise
I am a possibility
I am a promise with a capital "P"
I am a great big bundle of potentiality
And I am learnin' to hear God's voice
And I am tryin' to make the right choice
I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be.

You life has a divine plan, the promise.  You have lots of possibilities.  You have unlimited potential to do what you have been designed to do.

Mary Crowley, the founder of Home Interiors used to say, "God doesn't make a nobody!" We all have a purpose. 

If I don't know you, I can't tell you what makes you special, but I know you are.  Ask the Lord to reveal what makes you unique and check the direction of your life.  Are you making the difference the Lord created you to make?  THAT is what makes you so special.






Comments

Popular Posts