Valentine's Day is Over, Now What?

Valentine's Day is a day when we focus on romance.  Everyone in a relationship does something to make the day special, but what happens the other 364 days of the year?

With the hectic lives we live, it is easy to focus on activities, work, pressures of daily life and overlook relationships.  Wouldn't it be great to enjoy the romance of Valentine's Day all year?

My suggestions in this post have been put to the test in my 43 years of marriage. I have taught them in Bible studies and seminars and, as I get feedback, I have found that the couples who do these things have better relationships. 

Focus on the character traits that made you fall in love rather than any negative traits.

Some ideas:

Hold hands. Flirt with each other. Make eye contact when talking.  Listen when he shares his day.    Send a sweet text message during the day.  Have a date night on a regular basis.  Cook something special for him.  Take time to look your best.  Play games.  Watch a romantic movie together.  Share your dreams and goals.  Work toward your goals together.  When a problem arises, talk about it before it escalates.  Do unexpected things for each other.  Verbally express appreciation.  Encourage each other to “grow” to reach full potential.  Pray together.

 I have to admit it.  I have a trophy husband.  Not only is he a hunk, he helps me make the bed, clean the kitchen after dinner, helps with the laundry and ironing, vacuums and will do just about anything else if I ask.  He brings me flowers out-of-the-blue,  tells me he loves me several times a day and compliments me frequently. 

 Larry’s schedule as a pastor was not always easy on our home life, especially when our children were young.  He often worked seven days a week, had night meetings, would get phone calls during dinner and late at night.  He had opportunities to travel for ministry activities.  I did my best to encourage him and give him freedom to take advantage of those opportunities.  That could have created hardships at home but he planned his schedule so he could participate in the kids after school activities.  He would also take them to breakfast one-on-one before school, to a movie, take our daughter on “dates,” and set aside time for me.  When you are busy, you need to "schedule" your time together on the calender and respect it as a commitment.

We work to excel at our jobs.  We sacrifice for our kids.  We nurture our lawns.  We do maintenance on our homes and cars, sometimes at great expense.  We work at and plan for those things.  A great relationship doesn't just happen;  it requires even more of an investment.  We can lose our jobs or retire, our kids grow up and move away (hopefully), our yards continue to get weeds, we sell our homes and cars, but a committed relationship endures.  Shouldn't it be your priority?

I hope you will do some planning and put a little Valentine's Day in every day.  The benefits are the best!

 




Comments

Popular Posts