Mother's Day Ideas

Mother's Day is meant to honor mothers.  It is customary to go out to eat, give her a card (thanks to Hallmark's marketing), candy, flowers, breakfast in bed or a gift certificate.

Here are some outside the box ideas:

Give her the gift of time for something she wants or needs.  This varies quite a bit depending on her age, but time makes cherished memories. 

Do something she can't do for herself but would appreciate, i.e. work in her yard or wash her windows or car.

Go get a manicure and pedicure together, or give her one yourself.

Take her on a date.  Lunch and a movie, or somewhere she enjoys going but won't go alone.

If she is alone, cook some meals and freeze them in individual portions.

Sit with her and go through photo albums and let her reflect on the events of the photos.  Make notes on the back.

Make her a photo album, or give her a digital photo frame with a slide show setting

Save thank you notes that you receive and tie them with a pretty ribbon and give them to her.  It is because of her investment in your life that you received them.  Proverbs 31:28 it says, "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:"  This is a great way for children to honor their mothers.

Write her a thank you letter and share special memories that you have from growing up.

Make your own card.

If you don't live close by call her and make a commitment to call at least once a week to find out about "her" life. 

When we lived on the other side of the country from my mother (after my dad died), I didn't want her to be alone for her birthday.  I sent money to a local friend and asked her to buy Mom a cake.  I mailed the birthday plates, napkins, balloons and favors to her friend.  Several couples got together and gave Mom a surprise party.  You can also send money to a nearby friend or family member and ask her/him to deliver a cake, flowers or something else that would be expensive to wire for any kind of occasion, like Mother's Day.  It is personal and a little more special than a UPS package. 

Most moms don't need tchotchkes that say "World's Best Mom."  Many moms don't have much space and don't need one more thing to dust.  Instead, give her a gift card.  My mom orders things online and loves crafts.  She loves gift cards to craft stores. Bookstore gift cards are also nice (audio books are great for moms with poor eye sight).

Give Mom a homemade coupon book with things like "lunch date,  help with housework, a shopping trip," or anything else tailored to her interests and needs.  She can redeem them throughout the year.  Remind her to use them if she forgets.

These are just a few ideas to get you thinking.  When my husband and I moved from Tennessee to California, after his graduation from seminary, we lived two hours from our parents.  My dad had everything he needed and so I would take him on a date and pay for everything.  We went to amusement parks, I would go to his office downtown LA and take him for a nice lunch, we would occasionally go to a movie.  We made a lot of good memories.  My dad died unexpectedly when I was 35 and he was only 56.  I am so thankful for those times we shared.  I learned things about his childhood, his parents who came from Italy, and things about his feelings.  When I look back, I don't have regrets.  Those times gave me opportunities to say "thank you" for all he sacrificed and the investment he made in me as my father.  I have done the same with my mom.  We have taken trips together, gone to lunch and spent endless hours shopping.  I have enjoyed the stories of her childhood and dating my dad, their elopement and gotten an appreciation for the hardships she and my dad had.

 If your mom isn't living, you may find a special lady who needs some extra love and appreciation.  If you are blessed to have your mom, I hope this Mother's Day will give you both some cherished memories.


Comments

  1. Beautifully written and with a lot of heart. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts