Easy Floral Arrangements







Floral arrangements can be expensive.  They don't always fit into the budget.  Making them yourself doesn't have to be intimidating.  I don't use all the elements a flower shop uses.  I use shortcuts.  Here are some basics that anyone can do.

I like to use baskets, bowls, pans and unexpected containers for arrangements.  The corn cob basket used for this arrangement is not water proof.  I used a gallon sized baggie to line it.

*Clicking on pictures enlarges them.


 Place oasis foam in the baggie and fill it with water.  You can use two baggies if you are concerned about it leaking onto your table surface.  Make sure you have a "wet foam" and not Styrofoam, or floral foam for dry arrangements.  Craft stores carry it.  My grocery store has it, but I have to ask for it because they don't put it out with the flowers. 



Once the foam has absorbed the water, place the largest flowers first, then the mid-sized.  Finally add the smaller filler flowers and then greenery.  Florists usually start with greenery, but I add it last.  It is easier for me to place the flowers.



When I cut the stems off to the length I want, I use the pieces that normally would be discarded for additional greenery and tuck them into the finished arrangement.  If any of the stem is sticking above
the first leaf, cut it off so it doesn't stick up, appearing that a flower fell off.



For small, individual arrangements you can use small pots, a tea cup, small bowl or basket.  Use the corner of a sandwich sized baggie to line your container, if necessary, and place oasis in the baggie.  Add water and let sit until it is absorbed. 





I cut the  Alstroemeria apart and place to use them as individual flowers, and using the cut stem, once again for the greenery.







Assemble with a large flower off center and add the smaller blooms in varying heights to make a cute mini-arrangement.





The top picture shows the finished table arrangement.  Note that the little dish under the clay pot is a "butter pat" dish.  I bought several at a dollar store.  (They are also great to use as a serving spoon rest on a buffet.)

Caution:  If your container is not waterproof, make sure when adding water to your flowers, that it goes inside your liner.

The flowers I bought were from the grocery store and sold in individual bunches that were 3 for $12.  I chose three different sizes of flowers.   The Chrysanthemums, Carnations and  Alstroemeria complement each other and all will last at least 7-10 days.  Buying the flowers in individual bunches allows you to customize the colors.  Oasis is about $1 per block.  Because it is foam, it is easy to cut to the proper size.  The large and two mini arrangements cost me a total of $13.

For variations you can also add twigs, berries and greenery from your yard. 

Make a vignette by adding other things around the arrangement.  It adds interest to your table.

If you place a small pot at each place setting, they make a great gift for your guests to take home.

I hope you will experiment and see what you can come up with.  Flowers make a wonderful addition to any room.  Don't wait for special occasions!

NOTE:  You can see a small wooden bowl with "two fish and five loaves" in front of the flowers in the top picture.  I love having it on the table because it represents the biblical story of God's provision in a seemly impossible situation. (John 6:1-14) If you are interested in one, there are several variations on the internet.  The link below has the one in the photo.

http://www.holyland4jesus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1784


Comments

  1. So creative. And I love the "loaves and fishes" touch too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts